Checklist when using Python for Web Development
May 16, 2007 § Leave a comment
- Download latest stable of Python (as of today version 2.5).
- Visit cheesecake for some module shopping.
- Before installing anything else, easy_install module is a must-have!
- If you are planning to use MySQL database, install module mysql-python.
- On top of MySQL,if you need ORM (Object Relational Mapper), download SqlAlchemy.
- If you are planning to do unit testing, install nose.
- If you need MVC Web framework you can either:
- If you are thinking of rolling your own architecture:
- For getting up to speed in Web Server development, download CherryPy.
- As you get large number of hits, you might be considering Lighttpd. To communicate CherryPy & Lighttpd, install scgi via: easy_install scgi.
- If you need templating language for generating dynamic html, there are gazillion of them, I don’t know which one is good: Cheetah(PHP-alike), Kid(XML-ish), Genshi (XML + embedded Python), Mako (not XML), etc.